...

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Algenist Genius Ultimate Anti-Aging Vitamin C+ Serum Review

Disclaimer: I purchased this.
I bought the Genius Vitamin C+ Serum by Algenist for half off during Ulta's Love Your Skin event back in January, and I just finished the bottle this week. Time to review! Did this super pricey serum ($118) live up to it's claims or should you save your money?
First of all, let's talk about what it claims to do:

  • Replenishes, nourishes and delivers smoother looking skin
  • Visibly minimizes the depth and volume of deep wrinkles
  • Reduces the appearance of skin discoloration
  • Boosts brightness and radiance for a uniform complexion
The formula features a derivative of Vitamin C called 3-O Ethyl Ascorbic Acid. The active form of Vitamin C is called ascorbic acid, and all derivatives must be converted to ascorbic acid on the skin to be effective. Vitamin C is a notoriously unstable vitamin, but 3-O Ethyl Ascorbic Acid is supposed to be a more stable form and the airtight pump packaging should also keep light and air sensitive ingredients protected. No refrigeration required for this baby :-)
Algenist is also known for it's Microalgae ingredients, and indeed this brand's genesis began as a biotechnology company studying Microalgae as a source of environmentally sustainable, renewable energy. Apparently, Microalgae secretes a compound that allows it to thrive and regenerate despite the harsh environment it lives in.  The compound that allows this was harnessed, rigorously tested, validated to help protect and regenerate the microalgae cell, and named Alguronic Acid.  Other ingredients of note in the serum are Niacinamide, peptides, ceramides, and antioxidant plant extracts. 
I've got the admit that the combination of Vitamin C and Niacinamide had me concerned, as I've heard the two should not be used together, as they cancel each other out and the combo can even be detrimental to skin. However, this article appears to negate those concerns. I've also seen criticisms of Vitamin C serums that are yellow in color (and this one is), as it is implied that manufacturers are masking the oxidation of Vitamin C, which turns yellow and even darker as it oxidizes. However, the combination of Vitamin C and Niacinamide produces a yellow color, and is not evidence of oxidation. Also, I should mention the smell of this serum: it's distinct, almost like chocolate but not as pleasant. From everything I've seen, vitamin C solutions smell funky, so it just comes with the territory. I did not find it off putting, but I've seen reviews from others who did.
I used two pumps of the serum once a day in the mornings, and the bottle lasted me not quite 3 months. Recommended usage is morning and evenings, which means a bottle would last a little over a month, and considering the price...well, I'm not willing to spend $118 every 6 weeks. But, I really like this serum and my skin does look smoother and more refined. I've got dark spots on the left side of my face that look slightly fainter, but they are still there. Overall, my skin has improved since I started using the Vitamin C+ serum, so when I saw a 10 day trial offer of foil samples as a Sephora special, I made 3 separate purchases using the code in order to get 30 packets, which equals a full sized bottle. 
I'm hoping to get 3 uses from each packet, which should give me another 3 months before I have to decide if I'm willing to pay for another bottle.  Cause gosh, I do like this a lot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment