...

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

May Eco Emi: Kick Off the Summer

My initial impression of Eco Emi's May box - it's stellar!  Christine, the founder of Eco Emi, notes that the box is a blend of products from new companies as well as some or her favorite staples, which makes for a great box, IMO.  Add in the fact that most of the items are beauty related, and it's a winner:-)
In the new to me category are a nail polish and a natural mascara from Suncoat Girl.  The nail polish is actually marketed towards both children and adults, due to it's water-based formula that is free of Phthalate plasticizers, Toluene, Formaldehyde, Acetates, Alcohol, Glycol ethers, FD&C dyes.  Wear time is going to be briefer, with the removal method being soaking fingers for 3 minutes in warm water and then peeling the polish off. Sample value is $7.99.
I was excited about the mascara, as it's a gorgeous true navy blue with a glossy finish.  Made with natural sugar-based biopolymer, kaolin clay, earth pigments and enriched with vitamin E, the texture is rather thick.  I did have a chance to wear it Sunday and due to the texture, I found it a bit clumpy and difficult to apply.    If it was a tad thinner, it might have been a winner :-( Sample value is $14.99.
The lip balm this month ('cause there's one very month, which is fine by me), is Mongo Kiss Honey Vanilla by Eco Lips.  It's larger than most lip balms and features Mongongo oil sourced from a rural village in Zambia, Africa.  It feels good on, and has the added benefit of being USDA Organic and Fair Trade certified.  Love a good lip balm, they are a must have item for me that I keep in strategic places all around my house.  Sample value is $1.99.
There are two samples from All Terrain - a waterproof sunscreen and a natural, DEET-Free insect repellent that uses six natural oils.  I'll be interested to see if the insect repellent works, as I'm already starting to see bug bites on me from working out in my jungle of a yard.  Mosquitoes are the bane of my existence - I secrete something that calls all of  them within a 5-mile radius, it seems like!  Value for both samples is about $1.11.
Some staples from Christine's favorite companies start with the Pink Champagne powder eye shadow from Laurent Brooke Cosmetiques.  Pink Champagne is high shimmer and very nicely pigmented.  I'm looking forward to trying it out, as I gravitate towards this kind of color.  Sample value is $9.00.
The Seaweed Bath Co. has shown up several times in previous boxes, and this time I got a lavender scented powder bath soak.  I don't take baths, but I do use products like these to soak my feet in when I give myself pedicures.  It makes the process a bit more enjoyable.  Sample value is $3.89.
I was impressed with an unscented body moisturizer I previously received from Beauty Without Cruelty, so I'm exited to try their aromatherapy shampoo in Rosemary-Mint-Tea Tree.  It smells really nice and sounds like it will be good for my oily scalp/hair.  Sample value is $2.99.

There was one food item this month, a Pomegranate bar from Athena Bars.  I enjoy getting these, as I frequently end up eating them for breakfast.  It definitely sounds healthy, with 40 antioxidants, 2 full servings of fruits and vegetables, 10 grams of protein, and 3 probiotics.  Better than the McDonald's sausage McMuffin I often get!  Sample value is $1.89.

All total, this month's box value is $43.85, making it one of the higher value boxes I've received from Eco Emi.  This month featured 3 (4 if you count the bath soak) full sized items, which definitely ups the value.  Item size and value don't really mean anything if the items are sub par however, and in my experience, that has generally not been a problem with Eco Emi.  They remain one of my favorite subscription boxes!

Don't forget to enter my first giveaway!

Disclaimer:  I subscribe to Eco Emi for $15/month.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I have seen similar nail polish before, looks fun. I had a paint and peel one from some indie brand before, it was so neat to apply, but I ended up peeling them off just for fun.

    P.S. Small typo in "...it's stellar! Christine, the FOUND of..."
    Don't mean to be annoying haha, just thought you should know :) My friend who reads my blog is the only person that picks up on my mistakes and tells me, I am totally appreciative of her and I joke that I should pay her 5 cents every month for being our official editor in chief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have the hardest time editing my own writing, as I often don't see the mistakes, even after reading several times.

      Delete