...

Thursday, February 7, 2013

L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. Cream in Light

I recently received the L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. cream to try out, and I've got to admit my expectations were not high.  Most of the non-Asian brands have been playing fast and loose with the "BB cream" moniker.  I don't know if that is because they assume the American audience is uneducated as to what a BB cream is and does, or are just jumping on the hype bandwagon, or combinations thereof.   I've also not read many positive reviews regarding the current crop of drugstore BB creams, however you want to view them in comparison to their Asian counterparts.
So, let's get this out of the way - a BB cream this is not.  First of all, it contains no sunscreen, which is a standard feature for BB creams.  Now, L'Oreal appears to have sidestepped the whole "BB cream" thing by spelling out that this is a Magic B.B. Cream with Beautifying Beads, or encapsulated pigments infused in an ultralight lotion with vitamins C & E.  It does claim four things:  to prime, perfect, hydrate, and correct.
  • Primes:  to smooth skin's texture
  • Perfects:  to hide imperfections
  • Hydrates:  for all day moisture
  • Corrects:  for a healthy looking, even complexion
Available in 4 shades, light, fair, medium, and deep, I received light.  It starts off as a thin white cream with a runny consistency flecked with beads of pigment.  The color starts to change as you blend into the skin, until you are left with the final color.  I did not find it to be grainy and it blends out fairly easily.  I did use over a primer, as I found that helped with the blending and not settling in my pores.

The light shade is probably going to be too dark for many fair complexioned, but it was a good match for my fair but warmer toned skin.  It does have a yellow tone to it, and as you can see from when I rubbed the white cloth over my arm, it's on the darker side.

I've been using this for a week now and it did not break out my skin.  The biggest positive for me, however, is that it provides a really nice matte finish on my oily skin.  Coverage is light, but it does even out my complexion.  While it claims to hydrate and does contain panthenol, vitamin E and glycerin, I wouldn't use this without applying a moisturizer first.  If anything, I think this is a good option for the oily skinned out there (raises hand) who want light, natural looking coverage.
It actually reminds me of the old and now discontinued version of the Clinique Pore Minimizing foundation for oily skin that I wore when I was in high school.  It had a very thin, watery consistency, and the ingredients would separate, so shaking it vigorously before use was a must.  I found this description on MakeupAlley by playsindirt that describes it perfectly:
"Let me qualify this by saying I no longer use this product. But it was my HG foundation in the 80's when my oily, acne-prone skin was at its most evil. I was compelled to write when I saw all the negative reviews here. This gives you a completely flawless finish if you know how to apply it. The secret is to exfoliate in the shower/bath thoroughly, then moisturizer (oil-free, of course), shake the bottle very well, and (finally) pour about a quarter size puddle into your palms. Rub your palms to together and then apply."
Ah, good times, good times.   Those were the days when I would have to wash my face as soon as I got home from school because it was so oily.  But, back to the L'Oreal Magic B.B. cream:  color me surprised, but I'm liking this!  It retails for about $8-$11 depending on location, and I will continue using it.
Disclaimer:  I received a sample from SheSpeaks.com for review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment