...

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Palladio Rice Powder and Powdered Blotting Tissue

Ah, the trials and tribulations of oily skin.  There's the shine, the breakouts, the shorter makeup wear time, the enlarged pores......sigh.  On the plus side, I don't have many wrinkles.  I'll hold on to that comforting aspect.

To combat my oily skin, I use setting powders and blotting papers (or napkins if blotting papers are not available).  Palladio was a brand I was not familiar with but the inexpensive price and lovely illustration on the packaging drew me in.   Besides, rice powder to combat oiliness makes sense to me! 

According to Palladio, rice powder is the refined starch from rice and has been used for centuries in the ancient art of Ayurveda, a holistic healing practice. It can be used as a poultice to soothe inflamed acne and skin ulcerations, and has been used by Asian women in their facial makeup and to wash their skin since the 16th century.   Also, by absorbing the excess oil, the normal pH of the skin is maintained.  As a setting powder, the translucent works fine for me.  My main problem with this powder is the fragrance - it smells "old lady" to me.  Admittedly, I don't smell it once I'm through putting it on, but my nose rebels with each application.  Packaging is not travel friendly and is pretty flimsy, so there is that limitation as well. There is a puff included but I haven't used it, as I prefer a brush.  I bought my Palladio Rice Powder in Translucent from Ulta for $4.99. 

Rice Powder ingredients:  Calcium Carbonate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance.

Palladio Rice Paper Powdered Blotting Tissues are two-sided, oil-absorbing tissue made with natural rice instead of pulp, which is supposed to be gentler on the skin.  They are powder coated on one side for added shine control.  The matte side (without powder) is for blotting to absorb the excess oils and the powdered side is for finishing.  These tissues are larger then most blotting sheets I've tried, which I like.

I tested these first thing in the morning after having gotten up but before washing my face, when my face is at it's most oily.  They do work for absorbing oil, as you can see below.  My problem was that the powder coated side left visible globs of rice powder on my face, instead of a nice even coating of powder.  I will still use these on the matte side, but am disappointed with the results of the powder coated side.  I bought these at Ulta for $3.99.

Overall, I doubt I would repurchase either product.  The performance is not stellar enough to compensate for the small but irritating deficiencies - the fragrance of the powder and the residual globs of rice powder from the blotting tissues. 

Rice Paper Powdered Blotting Tissue ingredients: Rice Paper, Titanium Dioxide, Rice Starch, Methylparaben, Propylapraben, Fragrance. May contain: Iron Oxides.

No comments:

Post a Comment