...

Monday, May 14, 2012

NOTD: Naiad (franken) and Mint Condition

Yes, I've started down that slippery slope of mixing my own nail polish.  It's a learning process with plenty of trial and error, but here is one that I really love and have named Naiad. It's a dusky blue green with blue and holographic micro glitter.  

Definition of NAIAD

1: any of the nymphs in classical mythology living in and giving life to lakes, rivers, springs, and fountains
2: an aquatic insect nymph (as of a mayfly, dragonfly, damselfly, or stone fly)
3: any of a genus (Najas of the family Najadaceae) of submerged aquatic plants 
(Source: Meriam Webster)
 
Furthermore, the water nymphs were purportedly joyful creatures that could not be insulted or emotionally hurt.  Now, who wouldn't want that?
 
This is 3 coats of Naiad with Seche Vite base and top coat.  It dries relatively smooth but needs top coat to bring out the sparkle.  
 
Mint Condition
Since Naiad is a somewhat sheer polish, I decided to try layering it over Mint Condition by Ulta.  Mint Condition is a dusky medium turquoise creme.  This is only the second Ulta polish I've tried, and both have been somewhat thick yet still a bit streaky.  I did two coats but three would have been better because of some sheer patches.   I do love the color though.  The indention you see on my pointer finger is where I nicked my nail with my Pedi-egg a while back.  Dangerous contraption.  I noticed Ulta has their polishes on sale online for $2 right now.  Not sure about in store.
Here is 1 coat of Naiad over Mint Condition.  There is a luminous quality to Naiad that I really like.  In the sun it flashes, but in the shade it glows. 

What do you think?  Have you tried making your own polishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment