...

Monday, April 23, 2012

Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment

Restorative Hair Treatment
Based on other reviews I've read on Ojon's Restorative Hair Treatment, this is a product that you either love or hate.  If you hate it, it's usually because of the smell.  I've seen it described as tobacco and leather, a dirty ashtray, or cigarette smoke and oranges with maybe a bit of chocolate thrown in.  I must be strange, because I actually liked how it smelled. 

Apparently Ojon has listened to the complaints.  They have introduced a new Restorative Plus line, which has been reformulated with a new, lighter scent.  I'll review it below as well.  I was first introduced to this hair treatment when I received a sample pack from Sephora.  I was intrigued enough after one use to buy the smallest container and see what long term benefits it might have.

If you are not familiar with Ojon, the story is that the founder of the company traveled deep into Central American jungles to find this miracle elixir he had been introduced to by a relative several years earlier.  The Miskito tribe had been harvesting nuts from the Ojon tree and using it on their hair and skin for generations, with phenomenal results.  The Ojon tree is found only in the Amazon and the company contracts with natives to harvest it, still using the traditional methods.  This probably helps account for the cost, as these can be a bit pricey.  I got the smallest container, which was $19.50 for 1.5 oz. 

The original Restorative Hair Treatment is an emulsified oil which needs to be rubbed in your hands prior to applying to hair.  Directions say to start with about a teaspoon amount and to continue until hair has been saturated.  I usually just stop at a teaspoon, but I also leave it on overnight as opposed to the 20 minutes in the instructions, so I figure it all works out in the end.

I can't say that this has made an amazing difference in my hair.   I like it and think it has helped with deep conditioning, but I'm not so sure that other oils such as olive, coconut, or jojoba would not have the same effect.  My hair, while color treated, is in pretty good condition as it is.  So, perhaps those with dry or damaged hair will have a different experience.
 
Treatment Plus on hair
The Restorative Hair Treatment Plus is not solid, although you can see some solid bits in it.   The smell is indeed much lighter and I found it to be quite pleasant.  I had a sample pack of this and used the entire contents for the picture on the left.  Again, it's a decent deep conditioning treatment but not something that left me thinking "wow". 
Restorative Hair Treatment Plus

Ojon has several product lines, referred to as "Ojon rituals".  You can discover yours by answering a few questions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment